This week the internet news site, Central Illinois Proud, published an article about bed bug infestations in Peoria, IL. What previously was thought of as a big city problem is quickly becoming something rural America is having to face.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and the University of Kentucky, recently conducted a survey they called the Bugs Without Borders Survey. They asked pest management companies throughout the U.S. about their experiences with bed bugs over the past year. Of those responding, 99% said they had encountered bed bug infestations in the past 12 months. This is a dramatic increase compared to 10 years ago when only 11% of companies said they were responding to calls about bed bugs. Another startling fact is the instance of bed bugs in public places, which will greatly contribute to the spread of these pests.
With these kind of statistics, its not hard to imagine that you too might have the unfortunate opportunity to meet these little critters. But knowing a few tips about bed bugs can help prevent your chances of an infestation.
Here is some prevention advice from NPMA:
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your sheets for tell-tale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trashbag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual inspections.
- Never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of a bed bug infestation. You might consider having a pest control professional inspect the furniture as it is difficult to detect an infestation without training.
- Regularly inspect areas where pets sleep for signs of bed bugs.
And if you do find signs of bed bugs in your home, call a professional first. Bed bugs can be more difficult to eradicate than cockroaches, termites or ants. The use of insect foggers provide very little control of bed bugs and may even cause the bed bug population to disperse, making control more difficult. It will save you time spent itching and money in the long run, if you have a certified pest management company treat bed bugs right away.
If you suspect bed bugs have taken up residence in your home, don’t waste time and money, call Quik Kill at 800-525-0505.