The holidays have officially crept up on us once again and many of us are packing up in order to visit out of town relatives this weekend. If you are going to be staying in a hotel or bed & breakfast, make sure one present you dont bring home is bed bugs.
The tiny bugs love to hitch rides not only on your clothing but also in your suitcases and bags. Even establishments that appear clean can still have a problem with the pests, but there are several things you can do to help prevent bringing bed bugs home.
- As soon as you enter your room, place all of your luggage and bags in the bathtub. Do not place them on the bed or even the suitcase rack!
- Pull back the bedspread and sheets and inspect the mattress & box spring. Look for signs of bed bugs, small red to reddish brown spots.
- If you find spots, alert the hotel front desk immediately and ask them to relocate you to a new room. Many times only one room or adjacent rooms will be infected so request that your new room is not next door.
- Travel with a flashlight to help with your mattress inspection.
- Some people have even begun traveling with large garbage bags to further protect their luggage from stowaways.
Unfortunately, even if you follow all of the above precautions in your hotel, you may still wind up bringing home bed bugs. Infestations are even being reported at places like movie theatres, buses and trains. If you do find evidence of bed bugs after you return home from a vacation, you will need to call a professional to have them completely eradicated.
Quik Kill Pest Eliminators can help you evaluate if you have a bug problem and suggest how to have a pest free home. Give them a call at 800-525-0505.