What’s Under Your Sink?

Every year the U.S. Poison Control Centers receives thousands of calls regarding children’s exposure to household pesticides. It’s bad enough to think about what our toddlers pick up off the floor and put in their mouth but it is even more frightening when they go exploring under your sink. The fact is many of the sprays and powders we purchase to help rid our homes of dangerous pests can actually end up harming our families if not used correctly and kept out of reach of young children. And even though these chemicals are labeled with various warnings, it is not uncommon for adults to use and store pesticides incorrectly.

One of the simplest ways to protect your pets and kids is to store pesticide products out of the reach of children. Place these chemicals in a high cupboard, locked cabinet or better yet, out in the garden shed.

If you do decide to use household pesticides it is very important to pay attention to all of the directions especially application guidelines and when it is safe for children and pets to enter the treated space. Remember mobile infants and toddlers are experts when it comes to licking and touching things they probably shouldn’t.

Here is are some tips to consider if you are going to use pesticides in your home. This list is courtesy of the EPA (www.epa.gov):

  • Always store household products in a locked cabinet or garden shed away from both your children’s and pet’s reach.
  • Read the product label first and follow the directions to the letter.
  • Never leave products unattended when you are using them.
  • Re-close products if interrupted during application (e.g., phone call, doorbell, etc.).
  • Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container tightly after use.
  • Never transfer pesticides to other containers; children may associate certain containers with food or drink.
  • Remove children, pets, and toys before applying pesticides (inside or outside the home). Follow label directions to determine when children and pets can re-enter the area that has been treated.
  • Never use illegal pesticides (e.g., Tres Pasitos, unregistered Insecticidal Chalk, or Tempo). These products have not been reviewed by EPA and their use may pose a danger to public health. Always look for an EPA Registration ID number on the label. (Example: EPA Reg. No. 500-123456)
  • Post the Poison Control CentersÂ’ national hotline number, 1-800-222-1222, near your phone. Program the number into your phone’s “address book” or redial feature.

We recently heard a scary story from a Facebook friend. A homeowner was careful about how they applied mouse poison, but unfortunately, their puppy got ahold of a mouse that had been killed by the poison. After numerous trips to the vet (not to mention a hefty bill), the little pup is finally starting to perk up, but it has been a month of heartache and worry for his owners.

So what signs should you watch for if you suspect your dog or toddler has ingested a pesticide? Many times in children, the symptoms look similar to the flu. But if you suspect your child has been incontact with chemicals and they are exhibiting headache, dizziness, muscle twitching, vomiting, weakness or tingling you should call a doctor right away. For pets, you could also look for lack of appetite, abnormal drooling or staggering.

Just remember the only way to insure your family and pets aren’t accidentally poisoned with household pesticides is to NOT purchase household pesticides. Leave the pest control to the experts and contact a professional pest elimination company if you do find yourself with unwelcomed creepy crawleys.

If you are tempted to buy a can of poison, why not call us first and we can suggest the best and safest solution to your pest problem before you bring something into your home you might regret. Quik Kill Pest Eliminators 800-525-0505