The long famed uninvited picnic guest and star of a much beloved Pixar movie, ants are also the number one pest concern in the United States according to a 2010 survey conducted by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA).
With over 700 species of ants, there are a variety of reasons to want to avoid these bugs. Ants can contaminate food, destroy your property, they can smell bad when smashed and some species, like fire ants, can be very dangerous or even deadly if they bite humans.
Like many pests, ants invade homes in search of food. They especially like anything sweet or containing protein. Eliminating food sources is one way to help prevent ants from moving in to your home. Below is a list of other tips that the NPMA recommends to help guard your house:
- Wipe up crumbs and spills immediately
- Store garbage in sealed containers and remove from the home frequently
- Keep food packages closed or sealed and store products in tightly lidded containers
- Repair holes or gaps in window and door screens
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows
If you do find yourself with an ant infestation, give us a call and we will be happy to inspect your home and suggest the best and safest solution to your pest problem. Quik Kill Pest Eliminators 800-525-0505.